Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sponge Bar Replacement Workshop

We have confirmed the Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library for Saturday, February 11, from 10 AM to 2 PM for our next get together to work on replacing the sponges in our tired and worn out sponge bars.

If you're interested, please let Lynne or myself know as soon as possible (we do have a few confirmed so far) either via email or in the comments below.




You will need to bring:
  • a sponge bar in need of some loving
  • flat tipped screwdriver
  • marking pen (a fine-tipped Sharpie if you have one is good)
  • ruler or tape measure
  • sharp scissors that you don't mine using on foam
  • brown bag lunch or lunch money - there is a coffee shop and pizza/deli shop very close to the library.
I will provide:
  • non-latex (neoprene or similar) disposable gloves (please let me know if anyone has allergies)
  • Goof Off (for cleaning out old stuck on foam)
  • Q tips/tooth picks
  • paper towel
  • White glue
  • fabric backed foam (I will attach the fabric to the foam in advance of the workshop as this has to be done in a well ventilated area)
  • old plastic tablecloths to protect the tables at the library
If anyone has a good sharp rotary cutter, long ruler suitable for use with the rotary cutter, and a self healing cutting mat that they would be willing to bring for us that day that would be most appreciated.

The cost for the supplies will depend on the number of people participating, but it will not be more than $10 per person, and more than likely less than that.

Other random bits of info:

If you haven't started your hoodie yet, Valerie mentioned an important thing that I hadn't considered before.  If you have a machine with a knit leader (or knit radar?), which I don't and why I didn't think of it, then once you have the measurements of all the pieces to knit (and your tension swatch, which I know you all have by now!), you are good to go.  I have the extra step of converting all the measurements to stitches and rows, which I've now calculated for all of the pieces.  So watch for a post soon on finally getting this project to the machine.   I laugh a little to myself when I think that we started this project (the second time), back in November, and we probably could have whipped off 40 of these hoodies in the intervening 2+ months were it not for conversion calculations, holidays, work and general life interruptions.  Happily, however, it's not a race, and we keep this fun and informative.  At least that's my goal!

Let us know how you're getting along, and if you can come out for the sponge bar workshop on February 11.

Nancy

6 comments:

  1. Hello, this is Pat, just started my Hoodie(finally)doing back, up to where to "shape underarm" measured from waste yarn and it is only 9 ins. long, is that not too short from underarms to waist? Can I add more rows to make it longer or will it all work out when finished.In the picture it looks short waisted but would like to make mine a little longer, HELP PLEASE.awaiting for an answer before I continue,maybe an e-mail to me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat - I don't have the pattern in front of me, but in the post where I showed the calculations for the back/fronts, here: http://mkkal.blogspot.ca/2016/12/laying-it-all-out-part-i.html, size large is a measurement of 14" to the underarm. I'm not sure which size you are making, but no matter what size 9" sounds too short. When you did the calculations to determine the length to the underarm, what measurement did you come up with?

      Delete
    2. I just thought of something else too - did you measure that with the piece still on the machine? If so, that will likely give you a distorted (and shorter) measurement than the finished. Probably not *that* much shorter, but not a true measurement, for sure.

      Delete
  2. If I do the math based on Nancy's "blown up" graphic" for the smallest size, the measurement of F(2.625") is equal to 21.5". The measurement from underarm to bottom of hoodie is 1.5" and therefore 12.28".
    I measured the fleece I am wearing and it has an underarm to bottom measurement of 12.5" so less than 1/4" difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upon further calculations I measured G (1.5") and 9.5" according to MAO's pattern. If I add G and E then the underarm to bottom equals 9.55".
      I like the 12.28" measurement better so will add a bit of length, I think.

      Delete
    2. And now that I have the back in progress on my machine and my brain is working again, I realise that you will also need to calculate the additional length added by the band that is placed on the live stitches. Allow for another 12 rows on the length. The additional length will depend on your gauge - eg 6 rows = 1" means you will have an additional 2 inches added onto the length of the body.

      Delete